Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Wagon

I was just about to comment about how I'd once again not posted to my blog is almost forever, only to see that it's only been a month and a half--way less time than I thought it had been.

Anyhow, to update on things:

Not a whole heck of a lot of writing done lately. I wrote a few really short stories on the side, but overall, I've been really busy for the last month or so with a lot of things. I have finally gotten back to working on that pesky second novel, however.

I'm just past 80,000 total words on what's (still) my first draft. By comparison, the published draft of Thousand Leaves is somewhere around 120,000 words (with the initial draft coming in at 95,000 words, roughly).

I know I've mentioned it before, but the actual work on this novel has been going agonizingly slowly. Seeing that I've come a full 80,000 words, though, fills me with hope that an end is in sight. Really, my biggest fear is that the edits and rewrites will be just as bad to get out, but I'm hoping that once the story is out and on paper and in physical form I'll be able to 'get it' more easily and therefore fix it with more efficiency than it initially took me to write it.

Maybe the Sophomore Slump applies to novelists, too, I suppose.

No comments: